Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Character Chart     Gallery

Board index » General » Just for fun

Post subject: Fellowship downs Bin Laden!
 Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:40 am 

A brave fellowship of Navy SEALs raided deep into the Eastern lands of Pakistan to kill the evil Dark Lord, Usama bin Ladin. One brave hunter scored a devastating crit that put a hole through bin Ladin's left eye, finally putting an end to his reign of terror. All Free Peoples rejoiced at the news and were filled with renewed hope.

Post subject: Re: Fellowship downs Bin Laden!
 Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:00 am 
Site Admin

nice touch, but let's keep RL politics off topics please :)

I am, the only one.. NINJA HAMSTER!!!

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:12 am 

Wait, isn't this the off-topic forum? And I wouldn't say Bin Ladin's death is a political issue. This is great news! :?

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:17 am 

Technically speaking, Osama Bin Laden was/is a political figure who motivated/supported/inspired terrorists. His assassination therefore is a political event. While some may greet it as good news, others may not.

You should consider that all terrorist organizations are politically motivated. It's the whole reason they commit the terrible acts they do, to try and get the attention of the world focussed on their message to speak against and thwart what they themselves see as evil.

As a Christian, I do not condone murder. Jesus' commandment to the Church, all those who believe Him to be their savior and Lord, was to love our neighbors as we love ourselves, and to go out into the world and spread the gospel (that He died to pay the debt we owed for our sins, and that we could now have eternal life if we accepted Him as our savior and Lord). Once someone is dead they no longer have the opportunity to accept Jesus, and it was also His will that None should perish but that all would have eternal life with God.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all saying I support Osama Bin Laden, nor his actions while he was alive. But neither do I support his being killed. Captured and imprisoned would have been the best option, in my view. While still alive as a prisoner he possibly could have been redeemed, and at least contained and prevented from causing further harm to others. Now, with his death, we have to wonder what persons will see him as a martyr and rise up to do even more terrible things.

So, I'm sure someone might be thinking how I justify playing LotRO, a game that requires slaying countless foes in order to progress, right? Well, I look at it as a metaphor for spiritual warfare, as Tolkein himself intended it to be in his writings. I also know the difference between reality and digital game-world. In reality, as a Christian, I know we fight not against flesh and blood, but against spiritual darkness, evil powers and principalities. Love the sinner, ourselves and our neighbors in this world (for we all sin and fall short of the glory of God), hate the actions of sin.

I write to teach, preach, and share wisdom in a spirit of fellowship, not to condemn, chastise, or accuse with a spirit of judgement. We each are entitled to express our beliefs. These are mine.

Officers

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:52 am 
Site Admin

And I did not write this (nor the following) to chastise any one, but this is the reason why I wish for political and religious events/talks (well of course you can wish a happy Thanks giving/Easter/Christmas/Hanukkah/other festive event etc) to be off the forum even in the off lotro topic. Mainly because I do not wish for hurt feelings to grow out of these. We are here to escape reality into virtuality ;). Now if in the future there is a bigger demand for it, I could always make a forum that would be specifically for this type of things with the UBBER BIG warning not to read it if you feel that you could grow resentment about those things, but for now I wish to keep it simple.

And please don't feel bad about this. Nothing is held against you.

I am, the only one.. NINJA HAMSTER!!!

Board index » General » Just for fun